Lavender essential oil, everything you need to know
Lavender is one of the most popular flowers, not only for its beauty, but also for all properties that we are going to share with you.
First, it is important to know the history of the lavender essential oil, its name comes from the Latin “Lavare” because it used to add in the water to sleep well.
Lavender essential oil began to be produced in France at the beginning of XVI century, but we have registers from the Egyptians, Roman and Greeks that used it on medicine, perfumery even in the kitchen.
In the XVII and XVIII centuries, the seamstress used the lavender to aromatize the garments, there is a legend that they got rid of the plague, and advised other people to have lavender flowers in their houses to protect themselves.
Long after, in 1930, René Gattefossé, a very popular perfumer in France, got burned in his arms in a laboratory accident, and without thinking it, dipped his arms on a recipient full of lavender oil, his pain disappeared, he did not have any infection and his burns quickly healed.
That is why we know all the properties of this marvelous plant.
Lavender essential oil properties
- It's antibacterial.
- Helps heal wounds.
- Useful to treat dermatitis, dandruff, and warts.
- It is antispasmodic.
- Enhances the properties of other oils, for example lavender vanilla essential oil has a powerful relaxing effect.
The most traditional uses of the lavender are to place it in cloth bags and put them on sheets and clothes, to avoid moths, also for restless children, two or three dots of lavender baby oil in their pillow will help them to sleep.
Essential oils lavender benefits
You can use it directly on your skin without diluting it, but if you will use it in big parts of your body remember to do an allergic test, placing a small drop on your wrist, if you do not have any reaction, you can use it.
Some things that you have to know:
- You should not heat it to more than 95 °F, because with the oxidation, the oil can lose its properties, the color, and the smell will change.
- If you need to dissolve it, you have to do it in water-based preparations in bigger proportions of the oil.
- You have to protect the oil from direct sunlight, when you do not use it, keep it tightly closed and in a cool, dry place.
- If you want to mix it with other essential oils, you can do it with citric oils, like bergamot, lemon, orange sweet, mandarin, etc. Also, with herbal oils like lemongrass, rosemary, eucalyptus, cedarwood Himalayan, frankincense, citronella, etc.
If you want to know more essential oils, click here.
Lavender essential oil benefits for skin
- To the wrinkles, you can apply two or three dots of your hydrant cream.
- To treat the acne, apply some dots in a cotton pad and place it directly. If you have little acne, you can apply pure lavender oil, if your case is the opposite, you can mix jojoba and lavender oils.
- If your skin has some irritation, apply directly in small amounts.
- In your body cream, you can add some dots and use it to hydrate your hands, lips or where you feel dry skin.
- If you have sun burns, apply lavender body oil, the burning and itching will calm down.
- You can use some drops before the makeup. Lavender essential oil protects your skin from free radicals, and gives your skin a healthy and soft appearance.
- For the burns, you can apply some drops directly on the affected zone, and do it every 30 minutes, in the next day you can apply 3 or 4 diluted drops.
- If you have scratches and scuffs, you can mix lavender and calendula essential oils and apply directly on the wounds.
Lavender essential oil benefits for hair
- To combat hair loss and promote hair growth, you can do massages on the scalp with a generous amount of lavender oil.
- With the antibacterial and antifungal properties of the oil, you can fight dandruff symptoms.
- Contrary to what you may think, this oil controls excess oil on the scalp.
- You can use it like a conditioner, it will help you with the frizz and the dry.
- Helps eliminate lice. If you or your kids have lice, you can apply the lavender oil, the smell, and the disinfection properties the lice will go.
Lavender oil for pains
- You can relieve the headaches with a couple of drops in a cold compress and place it on your face, or apply 2 drops on your nape.
- For the stomachache, you can drink a cup of warm water with a teaspoon of lavender oil, thanks to its anti-inflammatory properties, the ache will go away.
- If you feel pain in your body due to tensions, you can use lavender massage oil, and massage the affected area.
- For menstrual cramps, you apply 4 drops on your lower abdomen every 15 minutes four times.
- If you have muscle spasms or cramps, do a massage with the oil, or mix with arnica oil.
Lavender essential oil for some emotional problems
- To prevent insomnia you can use lavender essential oil spray on your pillow, the aroma will help you to sleep, also you can apply a couple of drops on the soles of your feet. Maybe if you want a hot bath, you can apply some drops on your soap.
- If you want to relieve the tension, use a diffuser in your house, it will give you a relaxing atmosphere.
- If you feel anxiety, you can have a cup of tea with 1 or 2 drops.
- To relieve stress, you can apply organic lavender essential oil to roll on in your wrists and behind the ears.
Lavender oil for house
- To clean mattresses and rugs, mix the oil with baking soda, and before anything else vacuum.
- If your potpourri does not have more aroma, apply some drops and then mix it.
- For a clean atmosphere mix the oil with water and put it on a spray bottle, you will have instant flavoring.
- In the kitchen, you can use it to soften citric flavors, perfect to chicken, fish, or salad, even to sweet recipes.
Does lavender oil have contraindications?
The essential oils do not have contraindications or toxic risk on normal dose of aromatherapy.
Remember that before you use any essential oil, you have to consult your doctor even if you are pregnant, breastfeeding or medical treatment. If you use the oil on your skin, remember to do an allergic test.
Do not let the essential oil within reach of children, and avoid the contact on the eyes, inner ears and sensitive areas.
The lavender oil causes drowsiness, that is why it isn’t recommended for people with low tension.
As you see, lavender essential oil has a lot of benefits and properties that you can enjoy improving your both physical and emotional health, your beauty, even the environment of your home, without harmful chemicals or serious contraindications.
If you want to have your Lavender oil, click here