Are essential oil safe for dogs?
Essential oils have a lot of benefits to our health, but it is important to know that are different the benefits to our health, and the effects that it have in our pets, specially the dogs, so we have some advises to teach you which are the safe and beneficial oils to your dog and those that you do not have to use near to your dog since it can be toxic.
First, we have to take in account some advices, before you start to use essential oils with your pets.
- It is true that the receptors of the nose of the dogs are a thousand times better than the human, so it is important to select an aroma that does not bother your dog, we recommend a diffuser where you can dilute your oil, also keep an open door, so your dog can go when it wants.
- Remember that some essential oils could be toxic if your dog eat it, so if you want to apply it in its skin, put it in zones where your dog cannot lick it, like back of the head and ears, and in low amounts, maximum one drop.
- The only way that you can use it is in the skin and with a diffuser, if your dog eat it, it can be toxic.
- Consult with your veterinary before use any essential oil with health purposes, or if you see bad reactions in your pet.
Essential oils that you can use with your dog and its benefits.
Lavender essential oil
Lavender essential oil has a lot of benefits that your pet can enjoy:
- Antiseptic, since its relaxing properties can be used both topically and consumed.
- Insect repellent, you can apply it in the skin before the daily walk and prevent parasites like lice, fleas, ticks and others.
- Skin irritations, you can add some drops to the shampoo and help to dismiss the irritation effects.
- Relaxing, use it with a diffuser in the moments that your dog feels anxious or angry.
Learn more about the lavender essential oil in our blog.
Remember to use lavender essential oil organic, to ensure the oil quality and the natural ingredients.
Peppermint essential oil for dogs can have the following benefits:
- It has important analgesic properties.
- You can dilute them with a base oil, and apply it in areas of pain or where there is a blow. This will help decrease pain.
- It is a digestive stimulant, which serves to reduce discomfort due to indigestion or eating spoiled food.
- This scent is a natural stimulant, perfect for dogs with separation anxiety or depression.
Peppermint essential oil warnings
Usage warnings are easy to follow and can be the same for all oils and even for essential oil use by humans.
Before using any product related to your dog's health, consult your veterinarian, especially if your pet is prone to topical allergies.
Do not give your dog essential oils undiluted, since having very concentrated ingredients, they can harm and even be toxic.
Lastly, remember to make sure that you use 100% pure oils, as these do not contain diluting chemicals or low-quality ingredients that affect your puppy's health.
There are multiple benefits of tea tree essential oil, especially if it is 100% pure:
- If your dog's skin suffers from fungal discomfort, you can dilute tea tree oil with a carrier oil, as it has high antifungal properties.
- Diluting the oil with a little water will also help your dog get rid of lice, fleas, and ticks.
- Apply a few drops in your dog's shampoo, it will extend the deodorant effects and will have a pleasant aroma for longer.
These are the benefits of mandarin essential oil for your dog's health:
- One of the greatest benefits of this oil is its relaxing properties, it promotes a sense of calm and tranquility.
- By performing aromatherapy with this oil, you can reduce the symptoms of depression, since it is stimulating and helps relieve digestive problems.
Remember not to apply the oil to hairless skin, such as the stomach, to avoid irritation.
Remember that essential oils that really have benefits are 100% pure.
You can access these oils at PUROSENTIDO, the only online store that offers you different sizes and presentations of oil, so you can enjoy your favorite oil for longer; find our oils in presentations of 10 ml, 120 ml and 500 ml.