5 Essential oils for aromatherapy massage
Aromatherapy massage is a massage technique that uses essential oils during the massage session to enhance the therapeutic benefits of the massage. During an aromatherapy massage, the massage therapist may apply a blend of essential oils diluted in a carrier oil to the recipient's skin or add a few drops of essential oils to the aromatherapy diffuser in the room.
The benefits of aromatherapy massage are similar to those of traditional massage, including muscle relaxation, stress reduction, pain relief, improved circulation and improved mood. However, the essential oils used during the massage session can intensify these benefits, as the aromas can have a relaxing effect on the brain and nervous system.
Massage aromatherapy benefits
There are many aromatherapy massage benefits, as they combine the therapeutic effects of massage with the benefits of aromatherapy. Some main benefits of aromatherapy massages include:
- Stress and anxiety reduction: the essential oils used in aromatherapy have relaxing and calming properties that can help reduce stress and anxiety during the massage session. Inhaling the aromas of essential oils can also positively affect mood and energy.
- Improved sleep: some essential oils, such as lavender and chamomile, are known for their sedative properties and can help improve sleep quality. An aromatherapy massage before bedtime can be especially beneficial for those who have trouble falling asleep or suffer from insomnia.
- Relief of pain and inflammation: certain essential oils, such as peppermint and ginger, have analgesic and anti-inflammatory properties that can help relieve muscle and joint pain during the massage session. In addition, topical application of essential oils during massage can help reduce inflammation and improve blood circulation.
- Strengthening the immune system: some essential oils, such as tea tree and eucalyptus, have antimicrobial properties and can help strengthen the immune system. Inhaling these essential oils during an aromatherapy massage can help prevent infection and illness.
- Improved emotional health: Aromatherapy massages can help improve emotional health by reducing anxiety, stress, and depression. In addition, some essential oils, such as ylang-ylang and neroli, are used in aromatherapy to improve self-esteem and confidence.
Aromatherapy massage oils
Here is our selection of essential oils that you can use for your aromatherapy massages.
Bergamot essential oil
- Relieves anxiety and stress: bergamot oil is known for its relaxing and calming properties that can help reduce stress and anxiety during a massage. Inhaling the aromas of bergamot during a massage can improve mood and reduce emotional tension.
- Relieves muscle pain: Bergamot oil has analgesic properties that can help relieve muscle and joint pain. During a massage, bergamot oil can be helpful in reducing pain and inflammation in the affected areas.
- Improves skin health: Bergamot oil is known for its anti-inflammatory and antibacterial properties, making it ideal for improving skin health during a massage. Topical application of bergamot oil can help reduce inflammation and treat skin infections.
Eucalyptus essential oil
- Relieves muscle and joint pain: Eucalyptus oil has analgesic and anti-inflammatory properties that can help reduce muscle and joint pain during a massage. Topical application of eucalyptus oil can help reduce inflammation and pain in the affected areas.
- Helps you breathe better: Eucalyptus oil has expectorant and decongestant properties that can help improve breathing during a massage. Inhaling eucalyptus scents during a massage can open the airways and reduce nasal congestion.
- Improves blood circulation: Eucalyptus oil can help improve blood circulation during a massage. Topical application of eucalyptus oil can stimulate blood circulation to affected areas and help reduce inflammation and pain.
- Improves sleep quality: Lavender oil is known for its sedative properties and can help improve sleep quality. Inhaling lavender scents during a massage can help induce a state of deep relaxation and improve sleep quality.
- Improves skin health: lavender oil has antimicrobial and anti-inflammatory properties that can help improve skin health during a massage. Topical application of lavender oil can help treat skin infections, reduce inflammation and improve the overall appearance of the skin.
- Relaxation: Lavender oil is known for its calming and relaxing properties. Inhaling lavender aromas during a massage can help reduce stress, anxiety and muscle tension, which can help relax the body and mind.
We recommend: Essential Oils For Skin: All You Need To Know
Cedarwood essential oil
- Anti-inflammatory properties: Cedar oil has anti-inflammatory properties, making it ideal for use in massage. Applying cedar oil to inflamed areas can help reduce swelling and pain.
- Antifungal properties: Cedar oil has antifungal properties that can help treat fungal skin infections. Topical application of cedar oil during a massage can help prevent fungal infections and improve skin health.
- Soothing properties: Cedarwood oil has a warm, comforting aroma that can help reduce stress and anxiety. Inhaling cedar scents during a massage can help create a relaxing environment and reduce anxiety and stress.
Lime or lemon essential oil
- Antioxidant properties: Lime oil has antioxidant properties that can help prevent cell damage and reduce the risk of chronic diseases. Topical application of lime oil during a massage can help improve skin health and reduce signs of aging.
- Detoxifying properties: Lime oil has detoxifying properties that can help eliminate toxins from the body and improve lymphatic system function. Applying lime oil during a massage can help improve blood and lymphatic circulation, which can reduce inflammation and improve overall health.
- Antiviral properties: Lime oil has antiviral properties that can help prevent and treat viral infections. Applying lime oil during a massage can help strengthen the immune system and reduce the risk of viral infections.
We also recommend Aroma Italy
It is important to note that aromatherapy massages should be performed by a massage therapist with experience and training in aromatherapy. In addition, it is recommended to speak with a healthcare professional before using essential oils during a massage, especially if you have a pre-existing medical condition or are taking any medications.
Remember to use high-quality essential oils like the ones we create in Puro Sentido, visit our store to learn more.